1. Daily, live stories, and extra value editorial content to keep the user engaged and wanting more.
2. Where the user is THE no.1 consideration: Reading. Buying. Customer Service. Product.
3. Where the print mindset is non-existent: ie: the product is created and developed for the user and device. Shareable, social, integrated.
4. Where the user is recognised by their status as a subscriber or first time reader, or a previous customer.
5. Add key functionality your readers will love: ie: Cycling: route maps. Cooking: recipes, timer, ingredients. Fashion: shoppable. Football: live results.
6. Don’t lump for a PDF Replica. Create a better reading experience for the user. Utilise a CMS to aid workflow (ie: Wordpres) and HTML automation… it can be done, and will save you money.
7. Where the interactive elements don’t become more important than the editorial. Why animate?
8. Less hidden content, less navigational icons, cleaner user experience and user-tested.
9. Where the library/store navigation works seamlessly: easy to use, simple purchase and quick download, well-written FAQ, updated content, minimal clicks, solid e-commerce comes into play here.
10. Technically sound, updated to work with all new OS, made for a retina screen. Bug-free.
11. Where the perfect reading experience is the designer’s top priority, less whizz, more considered. What pixel size font are you using? 16? 17? Arm’s length reading. Serif? Sans serif?
12. All access subscriber option providing access to back issues and archive stories. Give the user total freedom in your environment for a period of time that they choose.
13. Additional video/audio content providing value and an additional revenue source for advertising. Stream it where possible – the user is connected!
14. Responsive / bespoke-designed editions for all devices and platforms. Android and Apple work differently. Look and feel is key.
15. Value: create the environment on digital where the user feels there is value and a reason to stay loyal.